Friday, May 15, 2009

An arty day

My friend Maria has an art exhibit at Trinity Parish Church, an Episcopal parish near St. James. Rebecca and I were determined to go, but when we got there, the church and its offices were locked up tight as a drum. They had been having an upsurge in nefarious activity lately and were being very cautious, according to the sign on their door. There was a number to call, and we called it, but got, “If you want….. press…..” Grrrr. What a letdown. Then a man with a name tag came by and we asked him about the show. It was only on Sundays, he thought. But it was really wonderful, he added, increasing our disappointment. However, since were his new best friends, he would let us in. And it really was wonderful. The pictures were scratchboard technique (a mystery to me), marvelously detailed, and quite lovely. Since Maria’s art is used often in Cathedral publications and liturgy orders, I had seen many of them, but there were some – possibly even my new favorites – which I had never seen. One of those was Rebecca at the well, and here you can see my Rebecca admiring it. Quite a few of the pictures were of the Virgin Mary, and I particularly liked that she was actually Middle Eastern looking, rather than the usual Teutonic looking Madonna. Try to go to this exhibit if you can.

3 comments:

Samos said...

I want to go! It looks fantastic! :-)

FuguesStateKnits said...

Lovely! What a treat that must have been - and your own private showing as well:)!

Unknown said...

Wonderful portraits.