|Sewing together parts of a sweater --- essential, but essentially boooring!|
When folks retire, they are supposed to have tons of time to relax and do whatever. Somehow, that doesn’t seem to be the case with me. I never have any spare time, and I also don’t feel like I ever get anything done. You have probably noticed the scarcity of blog posts telling you of my fabulous accomplishments. I am always thinking about things to say, but never am able to set aside a few minutes to say them. Rebecca and I have been running (actually trotting) twice a week, and that takes some time. But not that much. I had some Lenten practices that took a bit of time, but again, not that much. The best of the Lenten practices was macaroni and cheese every Friday with The Twins. I used a different recipe – none of them very healthy, but all of them very yummy – every week, and am now trying to decide which one I liked best. But that too, didn’t take much time. One of my Lenten penances – well, to tell the truth, my only Lenten penance – was to give up my computer card game of Skat with the little mousies Rachael and Lillian. That in itself should have given me lots of extra time, as I am such an addict to card games.
I recently told you about my gardening, and sadly, that one hour or two is the only gardening I have done this season. The grass is now ankle high in the best spots, and knee high in others. Gaaaaaah!!
One tiny accomplishment! A year or more ago, a bunch of friends and I (including Rebecca and Ana) all knitted the same sweater – a rather complex Alice Starmore pattern, for those in the know. Everyone else’s was adorable – sleek, chic, and well fitting. Mine would have fit an orangutan! With horror, I realized that I had made a tragic gauge error. Major Bummer! I was filled with envy every time they wore theirs. I finally started wearing mine to bed, so as go get some use out of it. Then I decided to make another one, just to show that I could, and this time, use the proper size needles, so as to get the correct gauge. I knit the body and sleeves of the sweater (i.e., 95% of the project) relatively quickly, but I think that fear of another failure stalled me completely at that point. I just kept making excuses (Christmas knitting, just have to make this scarf, really need another pair of gloves, Becca needs new socks, etc.) and so not doing the collar. Finally I knit about half of the collar and then found more excuses. When I went back to the collar, I couldn’t figure out where I had left off and so had to start it over. Another reason to put the whole project aside. Realizing how silly this all was, I put the parts of the sweater in a box, and put the box in the middle of my dining room table where it could nag me. The nagging didn’t really help. Then my pal Peggy came over for a knitting morning. The perfect time to do an hideously boring task. Charming company makes light work of the odious. I got the sweater body half sewn together. Another visit from a friend, and I got the second half and the sleeves done. At that point, I could see that the sweater would probably fit. Finally, I was inspired to do the collar, which I just finished. Now I am on the home stretch, and expect to have the whole thing done any day. If the horrible weather holds up, I will even be able to wear it this season. So, I feel like I have accomplished at least one thing. Yay!
|The light at the end of the tunnel has finally come into view.|
I even had prepared some flashback photos of my darling little Easter Mousie Rachael for an Easter message, and then was too
lazy busy to do the post.
|Rachael with her chocolate bunny.|
|Gathering Easter Rabbit largesse.|