Monday, July 28, 2008

A quiet day

As I have said before, I am a master procrastinator. I have been meaning to get smoke alarms for thirty years. Actually, I have owned them for many of those years, but they have been sitting in the box where they would not be too effective if there were ever really a fire. A couple of years ago, a friend’s house burned down and she was saved by the smoke alarms. Immediately after this, I got them out of the box, looked at them, tried to put in batteries, and was foiled. So once again, I decided to wait for the opportune moment - the one that never comes. The hospice folk gave me a gentle nudge about this, so I called up Ana and Ken and asked them to purchase a couple of less antique ones, and to come put them in. Being the wonderful people they are, they came immediately, and now my house is quite a bit safer. I am so blest in my family and friends.
Ana brought a shawl which she had just finished, and it is one of the loveliest things I have seen, knitting-wise. She made it from a one ball of Brooks Farm Acero sock yarn, using size 9 needles. The pattern is called Kiri and you can find it here. Above is a picture so you can all lust after it.
Rachael told me that my blog, which was to be about my hobbies, had become my hobby and was leaving me no time to pursue my actual hobbies. That is not quite true, but I certainly have not done much knitting lately, and this will be a bit of knitting content for my Knitting Blog.
Tom is much weaker today, but still comfortable, which is the important thing.

3 comments:

bex said...

Your blog and your ravelry! You'd better work on your more concrete hobbies!

Samos said...

Well, I love your blog! I think its a valuable work of art in and of itself. Funny about the smoke detectors, I have no less than 8 of them that have been sitting in their boxes since I bought my house 2 years ago! So pathetic we are... '-_-'

L said...

ana looks like batwoman!