Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A planned-out day

My friend Tom was reading this blog, and said, “It’s all about how you don’t ever do any work. You have tasks planned, and then do something else every day.” “That’s not true,” I said. “It just isn’t very interesting if I do what I planned to do.” For instance, yesterday I got up, walked the dog, read the paper, drank some tea, worked the crossword, watered my flowers, finished the book I was reading, made lunch, went to work, came home and went to bed. Not an interesting thing there, was there? Today, I got up, walked the dog, read the newspaper, drank tea, worked the crossword, and then – thrilling to relate – vacuumed the house. I cleaned the dust moose out from within the bowels of my refrigerator’s mechanism, and that might have been interesting to watch, as I had to contort myself and crawl about on the floor, find all kinds of instruments (knitting needles, back scratcher, yard stick) to get the fellows out. But not interesting to read about, right? I was so enthusiastic about cleaning that I nearly forgot that I was to sing at our Archbishop’s Fiftieth Anniversary of his ordination. Fortunately, the CD player in the kitchen goes off at noon every day, and this reminded me that it was later than I thought. I scurried off, and then sat there for three hours, watching four cardinals, zillions of bishops, and a gazillion priests march about. And singing my little heart out! This may sound tedious to the uninitiated, but actually, it was wonderful. The liturgy was divine, the music was celestial, and it was heavenly to see all my choir friends, most of whom I haven’t seen since our choir vacation began in June. Now you know that I occasionally accomplish something, but was it interesting at all? Do I hear a resounding “No”? I think so!

3 comments:

Samos said...

Great photos, I'm amazed how well they came out inside without a flash! :-)

bex said...

Were you taking pictures from the east apse? Didn't Jim get mad? I thought it was interesting about the dust meese.

joannamauselina said...

It is from the south stalls during the recessional, after it all was actually over. I wanted to take a better picture earlier, but was afraid. I was even a little afraid about that one.