Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A mixed bag day

I had been looking forward to today for about two weeks, as it was the first in that much time that I had absolutely nothing that I had to do. I had such great plans! The day started poorly when I was awakened by a crunch and then a knock on the door. The garbage man had run into my tree with the top of his truck. He was stuck there for several hours, until a tree man came and cut off the branch and chopped it up and took it away. This was a relief to me because the last time I had a falling tree problem, it was rather expensive to deal with. Then, as so often on days after working the evening before, I had a very difficult time getting moving. I planned to knit and read all day, while I awaited the UPS man who was to bring my new Kitchenaid. Somehow I did not have faith in him to come and he was demanding a personal signature, so I had to be there to greet him. He had already made the “ultimo intendo”, but I called and whined to the folk at UPS, so he was making one more “intendo”. He was to come before five, and I had to leave at 5:30 (see, even today was not a totally free day), so this was giving me some more anxiety. One would think that I could have knitted happily even while waiting for the UPS man, but another UPS man brought my new camera! This was a real anxiety producer, as I was going to have to upload something into my computer, and then figure out how to use it. So…… I procrastinated, as before, by doing some nursing at-home-learning things. Now I have them all done, which is a relief, but not enough of a relief to make up for the camera. Which, I might add, I still have not dealt with. Maybe Rachael will do it when she gets home.

I had been planning all week to make bread pudding, and had been foiled one way or another every day, but today in my efforts to avoid the camera, I finally did it. And it was wonderful! The household vermin were particularly intrigued by it at every stage of its making, and even more so when it was done. I have had a time fighting them off. So now------ the second UPS man has come, bringing the Kitchenaid, the bread pudding was delicious, I am off to sing at a wonderful liturgy – the Chrism Mass, so the day is definitely looking up. I did not get my glove finished which was my main goal for the day, but maybe later.

BBB Pudding (Blueberry Banana Bread Pudding)

4 cups of old bread cubed (I used NYT bread 4 days old, and an English muffin)
2 cups of milk
half a cube of butter
½ cup sugar
3 eggs
a teaspoon of vanilla
a large ripe banana, sliced thinly (or two small)
½ cup, at least, of blueberries (I used frozen blueberries thawed)

Scald the milk, and melt the butter in it. Whisk in the sugar. Pour it over the bread and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Whisk the eggs and vanilla, and add them to the bread and milk. In a well greased dish, layer the bread mixture and a layer of bananas and blueberries twice, ending with a bread layer. Bake it at 350 for about 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, and the bread tips are nicely browned.

This is really yummy - definite comfort food for those with camera anxieties!

No comments: