Sunday, April 19, 2009

A balletic day

I love going to the opera, but I am a pretty tepid ballet fan. Actually, I think the word “fan” does not even apply. So when my aunt invited me to go to Swan Lake, I muttered something about my straightened circumstances, and I thought about how I could be reading a book. However, she said she had tickets, and all I needed to do was drive us there. Well, of course it was wonderful with all those too skinny ladies leaping about, looking like something from a Busby Berkeley film, but with fabulous music replacing Eddie Cantor. In the Busby productions, the boy gets the girl, and the girl gets the part of the big star, but in this one - yet another tale of male fickleness and infidelity - no one got anything, except the wicked sorcerer who was triumphant in the end. Much more realistic, don’t you think? All in all, it was a fun afternoon, and I was happy that I had not stayed home to read my book. I might even become a fan.
Here is my aunt admiring a costume from The Sleeping Beauty. And me admiring a huge objet d'art in the opera house. (You can't see me because I am on the other side of the camera.)


1 comment:

FuguesStateKnits said...

oooohhhh lovely mobile! the hallway reminds me of the Kennedy Center in DC - I went there for the first time with a friend who, like your aunt, had extra ballet tickets.
great memory:)