Thursday, February 5, 2009

A comfort needing day

This evening we will be having our second blocking rehearsal for the upcoming Great Music concert. This will be three hours long – three hours of unmitigated stress for me. Most people are on edge at these rehearsals, some more than others. Me for instance, whose nerves are more easily frayed than the more stalwart. I usually plan to wear some item of clothing which will give me comfort, should the worst occur (for instance that I am singled out for criticism before everyone – an unfortunately not-unheard of event.) A few years ago, I knitted these pink socks for my LYS. I knew that the yarn was unsuitable, and that has proved to be true. I seldom wear socks, and I never wore them until the evening of a Mozart’s Requiem rehearsal. They were soft, fuzzy, and pink – all comforting. The only times I ever have worn them have been to Mozart rehearsals. Rachael pointed out that I didn't wear them and she liked them, so I gave them to her, and they have felted almost solid. She doesn’t seem to care, though, because she continues to wear them. Maybe she needs comfort too. I knitted this huge purple blob specifically thinking it would be nice and comforting at these ordeals, but it turned out to be too hideous to wear anywhere but my own bed on the most frigid nights. Once I was wearing it when I was sick and cold, and Rebecca thought I looked so ridiculous that she took a picture, which I will not share with you. And what will my comfort wear be this evening? For my birthday, my friend Sabine gave me a skein of Opal sock yarn made in her home town, Since I usually give away all the socks I knit, I wanted to make something else - something I would keep and enjoy. I decided to make a neckerchief, and realized it would be a comfort to wear to the rehearsal this evening. I finished it at about two a.m., this morning, and it is drying now. I was going to block it in the wee hours, but I couldn’t find my blocking wires, so I did it with pins this morning. Blocking for the blocking, heh, heh! Here is a picture of it in its unfinished state.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Just a note of thanks for your blog. I'm happy to see each new posting, whether it be about knitting, food, nursing or anything else. You've a lovely talent with words and images.

bex said...

Why didn't you put up the picture of you in your purple thing? It was cute!

Laura said...

Ditto what Linda said :)
And I love the colors of your pretty neckerchief

joannamauselina said...

Thank you, Linda and Laura! I tried to send Linda a note, but couldn't seem to do it. Joanna