Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Oh Happy Day!



A few months ago, maybe in July,  during a slow evening at work, I looked over the shoulder of my friend Virginia as she sat at her computer and appeared to be virtually shopping.  This was very atypical for Virginia, who is not usually an on-line shopper.  What’s more, she appeared too be shopping for Christmas lights!  “Whatcha doin’?” I asked.  “Looking at Christmas lights,” she replied, stating the obvious.  “It’s July,” I replied, stating the even more obvious.  She explained that her Christmas lights had just burned out.  “So did mine,” I moaned.  We compared notes, and discussed the joy of Christmas lights and how we wanted them all year long, as they made us so happy, and the sorrow of not being able to replace the recently deceased ones in July.  We realized that we would just have to wait.  This year, however, we would know better, and would lay in a supply. 

Oh happy day!  I had been keeping my eye peeled for the arrival of the Christmas doodads at my favorite grocery store, and finally they came!  I bought a bunch, and bought a bunch again the next week.  And now they are finally up, and up, I hope, for the whole year till the doodads arrive again in 2012.

I gave them to John, my handyman, to string up, and when I staggered home from work that night at midnight, there they were.  I was so happy to see them.  The warm glow on my front porch gave me a little rush of warm welcoming glow inside, and does again every night when I come home through the dark and cold.  “Here we are,” they say.  “Your puppy and kitty are waiting for you, and you three can all be comfy and warm now.”



I have them in my sitting room as well, and am happy every time I walk past them.  Note the UFO hovering outside over my garden.  


3 comments:

Marta said...

How lovely is your dwelling place....

Samos said...

Beautiful! Great photos (as always)! :-)

Laura said...

A lovely and inviting scene!