Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Wonderfully Musical Day




December is such a wonderful musical month.  There is music of every kind, everywhere. The choir room is a beehive, as we prepare for multi-musical services and events. One of the highlights of these, is our annual trip to Providence Mount St. Vincent,  a nearby retirement home run by the Sisters of Providence.  Here, in their lovely chapel, we have one of our most appreciative audiences, a great sing-along accompaniment chorus.  If I were the emcee of this event, I would stand there and say, “Um, ah – here is the St. James choir to sing for you,” – if I could even get that much out,  and that would be about the most one could expect from tongue tied me.  But our director, Dr. Savage (Jim), is a genius at bringing out the best in every audience, and making every event a real event, and a very wonderfully fun, meaningful, or sacred event, as the occasion warrants.  And today warranted a smattering of all three. 

Jim with Jeanie, and her Mom


Chorister Ward and a few of his Mt. St. Vincent friends, with Martha and her husband Joe behind them.

One of our ordinary sopranos – oops! Excuse me! Sopranos are never ordinary, are they!  One of our sopranos, Emmy Purainer, one who usually blends into the soprano crowd, has for the last several years, sung a German carol, and every time, I am totally blown away by it.  She is really extraordinary! Such simple, but soulful songs, and Emmy, usually one of many, brings her all (along with her amazingly beautiful voice) to her Weinachtslied.  It is always a tear jerker, and for me, the highlight of the event.  Emmy is really great, and I wish I could listen to her more often. 

Resident, Fr. Gallagher, who, as pastor of St. James, hired Jim 30 years ago, and Sister Ann 





6 comments:

Samos said...

Very cool! :-)

Elizabeth said...

Hi Joanna, I like your blog! You all were wonderful at Providence Mt. St. Vincent! I also love your food pictures,, by the way.--Elizabeth, aka Martha's daughter.

Carolyn APVT said...

Love the pics and the narrative--It was a wonderful day!

Laura said...

First time I've seen a close photo of you singing with the choir-very nice! Wish I could hear that German Carol you spoke of and Mt St. Vincents is a wonderful place.

Knitnut said...

The last two patterns have expired on Ravelry - can you post them else where or report to Ravelry?

Black Min said...

Hi
I have the best quality ring tone you can refer. Unique ringtone. Free ringtones. Ringtones from famous movies in the world. Many people around the world have installed ringtones for their mobile phones. How about you? Visit the home page below to get your favorite ringtone: https://ringtonedownload.in/

I will introduce 5 most installed ringtones:

Hindi ringtone
Telugu Ringtone
Theri ringtone
Kar Har Maidan Fateh ringtone
Pilla Ra ringtone

Thank you for your attention!