Monday, November 8, 2010

A sewing day


Every once in a while, one of my fellow bloggesses writes about her new or reorganized sewing room or craft area.  I have always found these posts boring, and wonder, “Why does she think we would care?”   Could the green eyed monster have been rearing its ugly head?  Was it that every time I wanted to sew on even a patch, I had to clear the dining room table, haul out my not-very-portable portable sewing machine, and then erect a spider web of extension cords to turn it on?  And if I actually wanted to make something, then I needed to also extract my ironing board from its lair and add to the already complex web of electrical cords?  And that then, if one wanted to use the computer for a quick game of Spider Solitaire, one had to become the spider oneself to traverse the web of cords surrounding it?  Suffice it to say, that I have long wanted a place where I could keep my sewing equipment set up.  When Rebecca was little, I had an area on our back porch.  There, I made most of the clothes for Rebecca and myself, shirts for my husband, and quite a few garments for my parents.  It was a pleasant place to sew in the spring and autumn, but in summer it was too hot, and in winter it too cold.  Now, I have an indoor place – and I am so pleased about it, that like those other bloggers, I have to share.  “Brag” might be a better word, I suppose.
The sewing machine you see has had its fiftieth birthday this year.  It goes backwards and forwards, and it has a button hole attachment, but that is about it.   However, it suits my needs very well.  Occasionally, I think about branching out into the more exotic when I see the fancy things other machines will do, but then I think of my faithful servant – a gift for my fifteenth birthday, and I do not want to desert her for a more up to date model. 

9 comments:

karensomethingorother said...

ah, I wish I had a sewing machine that only went backwards and forwards. I have yet to even master threading the bobbin, on that poor, neglected, high-tech thing in its box in the basement. Now I feel guilty all over again!

Laura said...

What a cute space you have made for your sewing! A green 50 year old machine is just too wonderful. The colorful picture of all your little sewing notions just makes me want to haul out my machine.

FuguesStateKnits said...

I love that you've made space for your "quieter" pursuits! So happy for you:)!!!
On a less quiet note- how did the Requiem go? Any YouTube videos???

Marta said...

I'm confused about the age of the sewing machine. I know you're not 100 years old. If you are I want your secrets.
If you received it for your 50th. & the machine is 50 years old? Was there a previous owner?

Other than being confused I'm happy you have a permanent place. I should do that.

joannamauselina said...

Marta,
It was my 15th birthday, not fifitieth. The sewing machine had its fiftieth.
Joan,
The Requiem was wonderful as ever. Some even said it was the best ever, but, as you know, it is hard to tell when you are in the middle of it and concentrating on not making a mistake.

joannamauselina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SaRi said...

Wonderful place. This gives me hope that I may one day move on from the spider status in the kitchen to a real work place. ;D

Janet said...

I had a lovely Singer machine, hand operated. Acquired in 1972 or so when we lived in St. Lucia. Alas, it is so heavy that I can't even lift it now - gave it to the Church Sale when we were packing for the big move.

Samos said...

Nice job, it turned out great... I love my old Morse sewing machine, which is very similar, and looks to be about the exact same color of green. I've sewn a ton of stuff with it, including lots of very thick upholstery. I found it sitting orphaned next to the garbage in my last apartment building! :-)