Saturday, December 5, 2009

A fun movie evening

Another fun movie night. Ana and I watched “The Philadelphia Story,” which was very wonderful and very funny, and “The Graduate”, which was very odd. “The Graduate” is one of those films, which, even if one hasn’t seen, one feels that she has. So much has been written about it, and stills from are (or have been) so ubiquitous, that I had a very concrete idea of the entire film. Well, my idea was totally skewed. Somehow I thought that the Dustin Hoffman character was going to be a little more normal, and that the Mrs. Robinson character was going to be less of a monster. And I didn’t realize that it was going to be so funny. So despite me feeling that I had practically already seen it, it was a delightful surprise. I actually had seen “The Philadelphia Story,” but it was so long ago that all I remembered about it was that Cary Grant was suave, and that Jimmy Stewart got very drunk. So that was a delightful surprise as well.

Our dinner was sort of a surprise too. I prepared faro for the first time, and it turned out surprisingly soupy when I was expecting stewy. But no matter! I served it in bowls instead of on plates and it was yummy. I adapted (celery, carrots, and lots of mushrooms added) a recipe from my second favorite cooking blog (my top favorite is on my blog list to the right of this.) For dessert, I made cranberry frozen yogurt – also an adaptation from 101 Cookbooks. I used to put leftover cranberry sauce in plain yogurt for my work lunch, and it was very tasty. So I thought, why not make faux ice cream out of it. Here is my recipe:


Cranberry Sauce Frozen Yogurt

3 cups of full fat Greek yogurt,
¾ cup of sugar
½ cup of leftover cranberry sauce

Whirl all the ingredients in a blender, and then freeze them in your ice cream machine, according to its directions, whatever they may be. I use an old Donvier ice cream maker that Rebecca got at a thrift store, no doubt previously, someone’s unappreciated wedding present.
This is another slightly impressive dessert in minutes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I eat a fair amount of yoghurt - live and Greek but low fat.I like the texture and the cultures are supposed to be good for you. Your food pics look scrummy as usual.

bex said...

You flatterer!