Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An enervated day

Rachael and I have been feeling under the weather for the last few days. I called in sick from work and she did not go to school or the Family Kitchen, one of her favorite activities. Our symptoms have been vague – just feeling really crummy. I have been “SOB on exertion”, which in layman’s terms means that I have been huffing and puffing just walking up the stairs. Or across the room, actually. Rebecca had us for dinner on Sunday and I went to sleep on her bed while she and Rachael played games. On Monday, I managed to rouse myself to watch Samos put in this lovely new (to me) phone, which he had searched out, knowing it would be just the ticket. I think it looks quite nice in my kitchen. It is the duplicate of one I got rid of years ago so I could get a new fangled one that would need replacement every few months. Once long ago, I read one of the little stories in Readers Digest, in which a child went to some elderly relative’s house and couldn’t imagine what the dial phone was for. Days later, I was taking Rachael up to the third floor of my aunt’s house, where there is one of these antiques. “How do you work that thing?” she asked. I remember when my grammar school had an assembly and a representative from the phone company came and gave us an inservice on using a dial phone. We were amazed at the technology, but there had been something nice about telling the operator the number you wanted or asking her the time.

3 comments:

Samos said...

I think you mean DOE... What a cute picture! Amazing how that phone just magically appeared on the wall all by itself... -.-

Unknown said...

That is an excellent photograph and Rebecca just gets prettier.

FuguesStateKnits said...

Oh dear! I hope you two are feeling better soon - the flu that's going around seems to be knocking the stuffing out of folks!
Take care - hugs and good thoughts going your way!