Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Shopping Day



I made a trip to my favorite grocery store – Grocery Outlet – where you can get fabulous bargains on brands you've never heard of.  I needed three items, and as usual got way more than three, but that’s another story.  One of the things I desperately needed was dishwashing soap (or washing up liquid, as my friend Bethie would now say.)  I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe’s, but their dishwashing liquid is a little on the wimpy side.  Becca and I both tried to be PC and use ecological soap, but it just didn’t do its job. The greasy dishes were still greasy when the washing up was done.  A sad situation.  Sooooo, I have a guilty secret.  I use bad dishwashing soap.  Don’t tell a soul, please. Anyhow, sometimes Grocery Outlet has good soap choices, and sometimes it doesn’t.  It’s chancy, and I felt like taking a chance.  I headed right for the cleaning products aisle, and there was only one choice.  I was staring at it, wondering, when another woman came up beside me and stared and wondered for a while too.  “What do you think it means?” she asked.  “Non-Ultra?”    
“Hmmmm!  I was wondering myself.  Something other than Ne Plus Ultra, I am sure.”  She agreed.  We both also agreed that the price was right, and if it didn’t work, we weren’t out that much.  So we will see.  Non-Ultra is a pretty mysterious name for anything that wants to be sold, I would think.  

4 comments:

bex said...

I think non-ultra means it's not concentrated, so more watery than what we've grown accustomed to.

joannamauselina said...

I think you're right. It just seems a very odd way of saying that.

Marta said...

I decided to ask on-line what non-ultra means, but all that accomplished was my lack of trust for information received on-line.
Anti-Christ was mentioned and something about bugs killing you.

Better stick with Becca's explanation.

Laura said...

I think I would get a new Ad person. Coming up with non-ultra on anything sounds like a loser.. No wonder it was on sale!