Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A work day lunch


Generally speaking, I fix myself a nicer work lunch than I do a home-alone dinner, since I will eat the work lunch with my friends, and somehow, it seems more fun to eat with others, and hence more worth the bother.  On my days off, I often plan to make myself something  nice, but when the time comes to actually do it, I most often don’t.  A piece of toast with marmalade will usually do. Mornings before work are sort of a wasteland anyway, so preparing something attractive  seems like a good way to spend a bit of time.  Yesterday, I decided to use up some things in my cupboard and vegetable bin to make a pasta salad.  The result was particularly felicitous, I thought.  You might enjoy making it, or something similar, too, so here is what I did.



Colorful Pasta Salad

This is enough for two work dinners for one fairly piggy person.

6 ounces pasta, in this case, lovely little fiori,
One tomato, sliced and roasted at 375° for about 45 minutes,
Enough olive oil to lightly coat the pasta,
Juice from half a juicy lemon,
¼ teaspoon salt,
Pepper,
¼ chopped parsley,
Tablespoon chopped basil,
2 scallions, thinly sliced,
Half a cucumber, seeded and chopped into pencil eraser sized pieces,
¼ cup thinly sliced celery,
A carrot, blanched in boiling water for one minute and then julienned,
Strawberries, sliced,
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled. Leave this out if you are a vegan.

Roast the tomato.  Boil the pasta as directed, until nicely al dente.  Drain it and shake off any extra water.  Pour on enough olive oil to coat each piece. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and toss to mix it evenly.  Add the green leafies, the celery, cucumber, and the carrot.  Reserve the tomato, strawberries, and feta to toss in at the last minute.  It is a very tasty, as well as pretty, salad.

The tomato didn’t add much, and unless I had a really spectacular tomato, I would not bother with it next time.  


5 comments:

Samos said...

Looks great! I couldn't possibly leave out the feta cheese... :-)

bex said...

I could!

Pru said...

Joanna, you even make the ingredients list look enticing! My mouth is watering ...

Lorette said...

Lovely! That looks delicious!

Laura said...

What can I add.. so pretty colorful and delicious looking! I must make one too.