Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A very forgetful day


I planned to make super easy New York Times bread for my brother Frank and his wife Angie, visiting from California. It takes about 12 hours for the first rise, so I thought I would start it when I got home from work at midnight. I knew that I would be tuckered out, and my mind would not be on bread, so I planned to leave a reminder out on the counter – like the flour jar or a bread bowl. However, I forgot. I called Rachael as she was on her way home from work and asked her to do it. She planned to, but forgot. Then, when I got home, mirabile dictu, I remembered and started the bread. It only takes a few minutes to prepare the first step, so I was soon in bed with my book and a cup of hot chocolate, when the phone rang. It was my friend and co-worker, Mademba, telling me that I had forgotten to turn in the narcotics key before leaving work. This meant that I had to get out of bed, brave the freezing weather again, and return the key since there is only one and they have to have it. I could not face getting dressed, so I went in my pajamas. When I arrived, the security guard looked at me like I was a potential patient escapee. I explained and apologized for my pajamas. He said, “It’s not that. You have on mismatched shoes!” Indeed they were different colors.

This morning, I was excited about Frank’s visit, completely forgot about the bread, and left it rising. I didn’t remember it until we were returning home at dinner time. So we had “Curry in a Hurry”, but no bread. It came out of the oven about 10pm, and looks lovely. Tomorrow I will find out if it tastes as good as it looks.

1 comment:

bex said...

How did it turn out? It looks pretty!