Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A PBS Mystery Marathon Day


Ana is making lots of progress on her lizard socks


 Every day or so, Martha Stewart sends me an email about some household goddess matter.  Usually, after scanning the subject line, I press “delete” on it and its myriad unwanted email companions.  This time, however, the subject line read, “Quick and delicious summer suppers,” or some such thing.  Tempted, I opened it up and found among the potential treats, a recipe for a scrumptious zucchini frittata.  Thinking that this sounded a bit like an oxymoron, I opened it anyway, and Martha assured me that my guests would swoon with delight.  Rebecca, when I told her about it, assured me that they would not.  “Don’t cook it on top of the stove like Martha says to do. Bake it in the oven.  Much easier and nicer.  And for heaven’s sake, don’t use zucchini.  Use kale.”  Foolishly, I believed Martha and not Becca, much to my sorrow and hostess humiliation. My guests, The Twins, always polite, pronounced it tasty, but I knew better.  It was leathery and utterly tasteless. 



Somehow, I was determined to conquer this frittata thing, being the only person I know who doesn’t really understand frittata preparation. So, the next day, when Ana was visiting for a fun time of knitting, tea drinking, and marathon ancient PBS Mystery watching, I decided to give it another go.  Ana, a frittata expert, supervised.  She agreed about the oven, and said that I also need to add a potato, both for fluffiness and ballast.  We went to the store, purchased some lovely kale, and fixed our dinner.  I now have proof positive that Ana and Becca know more about these matters than Martha Stewart does.  Our frittata was light, fluffy, and delicious.  Infinitely better than the one I prepared the day before.  When I told Becca about it later, she didn’t even say, “I told you so.”  Not in so many words, at least.



Super Summer Frittata

1 bunch of kale
I started eating it before I remembered to take a picture. 
1 medium potato (we used a Yukon Gold)
1 largish shallot, (ping pong ball sized) chopped
6 garlic toes
Juice of ½ lemon
2 T olive oil

4 eggs
salt
pepper,
cheese (we used Quattro Fromaggio from Trader Joes, because that was the cheese on hand)

Early in the day, so that you can prepare dinner in minimal time during a break from tv watching, tear the kale away from the ribs, discarding them.  Blanch the kale for three minutes, squeeze it dry, and chop it up.  Set aside till ready to make the frittata.

With a fork, pierce the potato in several places and then cook it in the microwave for four minutes, turning it several times during cooking.  Chop it up and set aside.

When it’s almost time to eat, heat the oven to 400°.   Using an ovenproof pan, such as a cast iron skillet, sauté the shallot for a minute or two in the olive oil, and add in the garlic for another minute, then stir in the kale. Stir the lemon juice over the kale and then stir in the potato.

In a separate bowl, stir the eggs well, adding a pinch of salt per egg, and some pepper.  Stir in a handful of the cheese.  Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, making sure things are evenly distributed. Top with another fistful of cheese.   Bake the frittata in the hot over for about 6 – 8 minutes.  Check it after six minutes.  It is done when it no longer jiggles in the middle. 

Result:  Light, fluffy deliciousness!


Salad with lettuce from Ana's garden

4 comments:

Laura said...

Having recently learned that knitting is comforting, Ana appears to have mastered the comfortable part! I hope you post a picture of the lizard socks someday. I plan to make this luscious looking fritta. Thanks for the recipes.

Marta said...

All dishes look delicious.
I just retired from the kitchen for the day. I'm happy with the dishes I've prepared but I must say, none of them look as good as yours.

joannamauselina said...

Martha, that is so not true! I am anxious to see all of them.

FugueStateKnit said...

Oh my goodness. You've just described my version of Heaven.Someday we will meet, my friend. I feel we are kindred spirits.:)