Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Greedy but Healthy Day



Every animal companion (the new PC euphemism for “pet”) I have ever had has been a voracious eater.  My darling little Margaret was in a frenzy every morning, dancing around my feet as I started my tea, making certain that I would not forget that it was her breakfast time.  She was reasonably calm at four thirty every day, but five o’clock could not pass without desperate reminders that it was now dinnertime and she was starving – simply starving.  It would not have been possible to forget to feed her. 
When I say that every pet was like this, I mean every cat or dog I have ever had until my dear Tobias. He could not care less about his meals.   He takes hours to eat his breakfast and dinner.  All his predecessors have had it gone within approximately thirty seconds. He does not bother us at the table by trying to gobble food off our plates or by piteously staring up from a polite distance (i.e., on the floor, not the table.) No, not he.  He frequently jumps up to join us at mealtime, but courteously watches us eat and occasionally contributes to the conversation.   
A few days after poor Margaret went to heaven, I completely forgot to give Tobias breakfast.  He never mentioned it, and was totally blasé when I finally fed him about two hours late.  One evening I forgot his dinner, and once again, he didn’t say a word until about ten p.m.  At that time, he finally realized that dinner was not going to happen unless he took measures, so he came and sat on my bed and mewed angrily.  I realized my mistake, and since, have been far more careful to remember my kitty’s mealtime.
When I say that he has never been interested in human food, that would be until today.  I fixed myself some poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce, and he ambled over to take a sniff.  “Wow!” he said, and dug in.  “I really like this, Mum.  I want to eat it all. "   But then his true nature intervened and after a few bites, he ambled off again.  What a funny pussycat!


Yum, Mum!  I'll try some.

Healthy Hollandaise
1 tbs. butter
¾ cup buttermilk*
1 tbs. cornstarch
½ tsp. salt
pinch cayenne
1 large egg
1 tbs. fresh lemon juice

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.  Cook, stirring, until the butter is golden.  Set aside.

Whisk together the buttermilk, cornstarch, cayenne and egg until the cornstarch is thoroughly mixed in. (You don't want lumps.).  In a smallish saucepan, whisk the mixture over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.  Continue cooking for 15 seconds.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and lemon juice.  Voila!  Hollandaise in a flash! 

*Ana and I decided to make this at the last minute, and didn't have buttermilk on hand.  Instead we used half yogurt and half skim milk.  It was fine.

This will keep for a few days in the refrigerator, and can be reheated in the microwave. 


4 comments:

Marta said...

Looks yummy.
Can't blame the poor neglected hungry feline!

Laura said...

Tobias is a stoic fellow! I'm going to try that sauce-thanks.

Dan and Julie in San Diego said...

Margaret made sure you did not forget to feed the animals. Good for her! I want to try that sauce, too.
Julie in San Diego

Pru said...

Poor Tobias. Spike too is a grazer, although unlike Tobias he does sit and stare when we're eating, presumably our food smells more appetizing than his kibbles. Thanks for the Healthy Hollandaise recipe!