Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Dopey Day

 Ana was coming for dinner and a movie.  Most often when she comes, I more or less throw something together at the last minute so that I can do whatever it was that I needed to do during the day.  This time, however, I decided to actually do some cooking.  My menu included a pear and red wine sorbet, a squash and mushroom minestrone, ciabatta, and fruit salad.  None of these items required a lot of fussing-about time, but the bread and the sorbet required sitting-about time.  In other words, I needed to get an early start.   My plan had been to stop at the all-night grocery store on the way home from work, but when I was released from bondage, I was l like a horse on its way back to the stable, mindlessly galloping home, eager for my cup of Ovaltine and my bed.  So, having forgotten to go to the grocery store the evening before, I needed to spring out  of bed the first thing in the morning and go purchase my pears.  I am incapable of genuine springing in the wee ours of the morn, but I did my best and slithered forth  at a somewhat early hour.  Usually, I walk to the store, but since I was in a bit of a hurry, I decided to ride my bicycle – for the first time since autumn.  The last time I rode it, I realized that my usual cool weather attire got caught in the chain, so I carefully selected appropriate clothes.  I made sure I had the canvas totes that would work best in the bike basket.  I checked the tires.  Almost full, but not quite.  They would have to do.  I tested the combination lock to be sure it hadn’t rusted itself together over the winter.  It all checked out, and I was off.  Huffing and puffing, heart racing from the exertion, I arrived at the store, gathered my purchases, and as I approached the checkout line, realized that had forgotten to bring the means to pay.  Aaaaaargh!!!!
I left my selections there in the basket, sadly rode home debating what to do next.  I absolutely was not up for another bike ride uphill with under filled tires.  Walking would make for a really late start.  Margaret suggested that I take the car, and that way she could come and give comfort as we drove along.  Perhaps she engineered the whole thing so she could have an outing. 


Laura said...

I enjoyed reading this very entertaining misadventure with a happy ending for Margaret!

Lorette said...

That's a very funny story! I wouldn't have ridden the bike there twice either. OK, I wouldn't have ridden it once, but you know what I mean.
I'm not much of a morning springer, either. John has finally finished trying to shake me out of bed in the morning to "go do something". I'm already doing it, dear.