Sunday, August 1, 2010

A fertile day

This evening, we went to a baby shower for Carmen and Bill’s new baby, due to arrive any minute now. Lillian will have a little sister. She has been an only child for about twenty years, and had her share of “all the attention,” so I don’t think we have to worry about sibling rivalry.

Sometimes I am invited to baby showers of youthful work colleagues, but it has been a while since one of my real life friends has needed one. Carmen looked glowing and fabulous. This amazing dress was originally worn by her mother when Carmen herself was a bun in the oven.

I was telling my Aunt Pauline that Dakki and I were going to a baby shower, and she was speculating about the sort of party it would be. I said not the kind from our youth (horrible,) where you sit around and play stupid games and drink pink punch. This will be a grown up family party. She seemed skeptical, but so it was. Not only grown up, but three generations – including a goodly representation of aging hippies. Hippies don’t play those dopy party games. Maybe other dopy games, but we won’t go there.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I used to dread those dopey games. How fun to have a little sister after twenty years!