One of my work colleagues showed me the Japanese characters for such vital words as, “stitch,” “row,” “needle,” and “gauge.” She also helped me interpret the mysterious directions for attaching the collar. When Ana and I started, we were able to figure out what gauge the pattern recommended, but we could not figure out what part of the complex design that gauge was supposed to represent. So we just started knitting a sleeve as our swatch. This is my usual practice when knitting a cabled sweater, as otherwise one has to knit a huge useless thing to get much of an idea. This way, you knit a huge useful thing, and have a part of your sweater already done. Or not. In my case, not. I knitted about 2/3 of the sleeve and decided that it was way too big. So back to square one. The body was knitted all in one piece, which made for a snail’s pace – another damper on the old enthusiasm. I paused to knit myself a useful sweater, and then Becca liked it so well that she demanded that I knit her one too. Then we decided to have a knit-along to make the EZ green sweater, and there was Christmas knitting in the mix as well. So while I felt like I had been knitting on this sweater forever, most of the time, it was just loooooming over me as an unfinished object sending out little guilt vibes. Happily, it is finally done, and I like it very well. Now if only I had put in pockets. Oh, well – next time.
19 hours ago