Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A day with a disasterlet

Samos brought Rachael and I home from the movie last night, and when we opened the door there was an ominous smell. A friend was refinishing and painting windows in the basement, so I initially thought it was that. However, he came up the stairs to greet us, saying that he had had a terrible accident. I was horrified and naturally feared the worst. Like cutting off his hand, although obviously not that, since he still had two. However, it was not so bad. He had tried to make tea in my electric teakettle, but no doubt never having been to England, and not understanding electric teakettles (one of God's many great gifts to mankind), he was making it on top of the stove in the way of conventional teakettles. Fortunately, once the teakettle started to melt, he realized his error and also that our stovetop has many issues, and so he didn’t really try to clean it up. Since nothing actually caught on fire, the disaster was far less than it might have been. It reminded me of a time last summer when I came home and Tom was looking quite abashed. “What’s the matter?” I asked. “I had a terrible accident,” he replied. He had tried to bake a frozen apple turnover (at 450°) on a ceramic quiche dish, and naturally it shattered to pieces. What is it with these boys and over-heated cookware? Both are excellent cooks and know their way around a kitchen. Is it that pesky Y chromosome?

4 comments:

Knitman said...

oops! That was lucky.

I have never seen a kettle like this. I use an electric kettle of course but not one that looks like this and I have not seen one before.

joannamauselina said...

That was part of the sorrow! It was a rare and exotic one. Not really - I have ordered another just like it and will pick it up tomorrow. But it was a particularly nice one which Rebecca found on the web when its predecessor died the usual teakettle premature death.

Samos said...

Hey now, I use my cookware quite properly thank you (and knves also)! I've certainly not added as much blood to my meals as Rebecca has to hers! Though her meals are far superior. Perhaps it was the blood that helped? Hmmm... I guess I'm still in a Golem mood. :-)

joannamauselina said...

Samos, I remember another cooking accident that you had TWICE. I won't mention it here, since this is a G-rated blog.